How Do We Protect Open Space?
- Monitor local land issues: Our professional staff engages in local proposals, policies, and planning processes; serve on boards and advisory groups; and conducts thorough research to stay abreast of opportunities or threats to open space and natural resource protection.
- Educate decision-makers and hold them accountable: We meet and educate decision-makers and candidates for office to encourage them to enact and follow environmental policies. Our advocates submit oral and written comments on a myriad of project and planning documents and during public meetings and hearings.
- Empower community members: We mobilize people to take action on open space issues and help others navigate the political process, providing expertise and support on environmental issues local communities care about.
- Partner with other organizations: We collaborate with other organizations to share information and collectively work to protect local landscapes.
- Train leaders in local activism: Our annual Community Advocates Leadership Academy (10-month) program teaches advocacy skills to people who are making a difference on local environmental and social issues.