Community Advocates Leadership Academy
Learn, Explore, and Lead Collectively
Launched in 2013, Green Foothills’ Community Advocates Leadership Academy consists of a training program and its associated alumni program. The Leadership Academy convenes, trains and invests in local community leaders while they complete the 8-month training program and beyond.
Alumni are supported in their advancement into leadership roles at nonprofits, public agencies, companies, and community-based groups where they advance initiatives for environmental conservation, justice, and inclusive public process. Green Foothills stays connected with and supports alumni through their community change work. Alumni play an important role in shaping Green Foothills’ work: informing our advocacy, engaging in local land use issues, and providing valuable perspectives on equitable, inclusive environmental activism.
Want to Join?
We are now accepting
applications for our 2022 class!
Donate to support the next generation of local leaders
Application Season is Open for 2022
Who should apply
Our goal each year is to form a cohort of 20-25 people who represent the ethnic, geographic, generational, gender, and economic diversity of the region and live in or serve San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties’ communities.
Accepted applicants are distinguished by their
- Commitment to be a more effective agent of change
- Desire to work across sectors toward a vision for the region to be a resilient, equitable place where wildlife thrive, everyone has natural beauty to enjoy, and communities live in balance with nature
- Desire to explore and address systemic oppression to increase the power of communities who historically have been disempowered
Become an advocate for your community.
We encourage you to download the application form, fill it out, and save it in as a Word.doc for future reference. Once you have done this, use it to fill out the form below with your answers.
About the 8-Month Program
During the cohort-based program, participants learn how to lead effective environmental advocacy campaigns that are grounded in social justice. As part of the curriculum, participants work in small groups to develop advocacy campaigns that address current, local environmental issues while integrating racial justice as a key component. After graduation, Green Foothills is committed to resourcing and helping to bring to life the capstone project through offerings of strategic advice, partnership-building support, fundraising, and advocacy.
People who graduate from CALA will be able to:
- Articulate their personal mission statement
- Identify the next leadership role they will pursue
- Hold a rich connection and shared experience with a cohort of changemakers
- More effectively advocate for the natural environment
- Develop a strategy based on power mapping to influence key decision makers
- Recognize how bias and systems of oppression play out in local environmental issues
- Participate in annual CALA events
- Find support in a robust alumni network of 200+ passionate individuals
The 2022 cohort will meet once a month on the following Saturdays. Some sessions will be held online, where others will take place in person in an outdoor setting. Locations to be announced.
- Saturday, January 8, 2022: Class Orientation
- Saturday, February 5, 2022: Preparing for a Campaign
- Saturday, March 5, 2022: Goal-Setting and Community Expertise
- Saturday, April 2, 2022: Power Mapping and Coalition Building
- Saturday, May 14, 2022: Grassroots and Grasstops Engagement
- Saturday, June 4, 2022: Theory of Change and Messaging
- Saturday, July 9, 2022: Finalizing the Campaign Plan and Looking Back on CALA Journey
- Saturday, August 6, 2022: Graduation and Looking Ahead (hopefully in person at a park)
We encourage all interested people to apply regardless of financial means. Nearly full and partial scholarships are available thanks to the financial support of the Knight Foundation, San Mateo County Health System, Silicon Valley Community Foundation, Green Foothills’ members, and funding sources we are actively soliciting right now. Please consider making a donation to support the Community Advocates Leadership Academy.