Strengthen your leadership skills and learn with other change-makers to make a greater impact. The Community Advocates Leadership Academy trains people who are working locally to make a difference on the environmental and social challenges of our time.
Participants meet one Saturday a month for half day classes in rotating venues throughout San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. Classes explore influencing electeds, leadership practices, goal setting, and more.
We welcome anyone interested to apply regardless of financial means thanks to the financial support of Google, San Mateo County Health System, and Committee for Green Foothills’ members.
COST: We know citizen advocates come from all walks of life. The cost of the program to us is $1,200 per person. When you apply, you may select what you can afford, starting at $100 for the full program thanks to funding from the County of San Mateo Health System, Google, the Knight Foundation, and Committee for Green Foothills’ members.
“We won our campaign thanks to Community Advocates Leadership Academy” – Morgan Aitken Young, Class of 2015-2016
“Community Advocates Leadership Academy reaffirmed my passion” – Violet Saena, Class of 2015-2016
“Community Advocates Leadership Academy taught me to speak up for my community” -Uriel Hernandez, Class of 2016-2017
“Community Advocates Leadership Academy made me a more strategic organizer” -Deb Kramer, Class of 2016-2017
“Community Advocates Leadership Academy gave me courage and strength” -Sylvia Ornelas, Class of 2015-2016
2017-2018 Class Sessions
- September 8, 2018: Welcome to CALA! 13 tips from Santa Clara County Supervisor Joe Simitian
- October 6, 2018: Stakeholder Analysis and Increasing your Clout with Michele Beasley and Megan Medeiros
- November 2, 2018:“The Art of the Land Use planning process” with Councilmember Carlos Romero
- December 1, 2018: Mock City Council Meeting
- January 12, 2019: What Makes a Great Leader
- February 2, 2019: Advocacy Planning Pt 1– Goal, Audience, Message & Engagement with Lightbox Collaborative
- March 2, 2019: Advocacy Planning Pt 2– Goal, Audience, Message & Engagement with Lightbox Collaborative
- April 6, 2019: Bringing People Together for a Purpose with Debbie Mytels
- May 4, 2019: Leadership through Empathy with Councilmember Ray Mueller and Networking with Megan Medeiros
- June 1, 2019: Graduation